We are all excited and looking forward to getting our QC and USTA Spring Seasons started!
Here are some fundamental strategies to help you start your matches with a solid plan and a bit more confidence.
1. Be sure to get some solid practice in and clinic with the same focus and intensity you play your matches.
2. Concentrate on getting a high percentage of first serves in, even if the means taking a little speed off it or putting a little more spin on it. And learn to change up the location, speed, spin, arc, etc of your serves, so its not too predictable.
3. Aim your return of serve sharp cc, at the side T, where the service line and side line intersect.
4. Aim your first shot after your serve at the side T.
5. When at net, aim your volley down the middle at the middle T, where the center service line and service line meet.
6. If nervous or tight aim at the center T. It is the center of the court, so you have a lot of margin for error.
7. ALWAYS ENCOURAGE YOUR PARTNER, no matter how bad or tight they are playing. Critiquing them, swearing at them in Swahili or giving them the “stone cold” treatment will not help them play better. :)
8. Take time in between points and on changeovers to communicate with your partner and make adjustments in strategy, positioning, shot placements, etc.
9. If you ever lose 2 points in a row, take your time, encourage each other and refocus. If you lose 2 games in a row, have a good chat about what adjustment you can make to get the momentum back.
10. After the match discuss what you learned, could improve on and most importantly what you did well and why you appreciate tennis and playing with each other so much!
With the warmer weather coming, we are all ready to play some much anticipated fun and exciting tennis. It is important to take 5-10 minutes to warm up properly and stretch well before playing and 5-10 minutes to cool down and stretch after playing. Many of us only have an hour to play so we don’t want to take time to stretch. It is better to plan on playing 45-50 minutes and stretch before and after playing.
It is important to stretch after playing as well, so you won’t be as tight and/or sore the next day. Stretching before and after will not only prevent injuries, but make playing tennis much more enjoyable!
2019 tennis has began. Thai Kwiatkowski got to the quarter finals of his first challenger and the semi final of his 2nd challenger of the year. With these results he will achieve his highest career ranking of 258. Unfortunately, he didn't qualify for the Australian Open so I will have to go with my favorite Roger Federer in the Mens. For the Women's Side I have to pick Naomi Osaka to win her 2nd consecutive Major.
Please everybody remember to warm up properly, dress in layers, stretch well and stay hydrated to stay healthy and prevent injuries this winter season.
Its that time of the year where the first major of the year is about to begin - The 2019 Australian Open from Melbourne, Australia begins the 14th of Jan and will be shown on ESPN and ESPN 2. Make sure you get on and watch the World best players compete in the Brutal Aussie Heat. Can Roger and Rafa add to their Major Titles, or will we see a new young gun break through. On the Women's side can Serena equal the great Margaret Court with 24 Major Titles? Coach Alfie is picking Alexander Zverev to finally break through and win his first Major and on the Women's side he is predicting Simona Halep to win her first Australian Open. Coach Joe's prediction for this Aussie Open are on the Men's Side - Roger Federer and on the Women's side - Simona Halep.
See you soon guys.
WELCOME TO COACH'S CORNER
Our new Head Professional, Alfie Bacalja, has arrived. His energy and passion for the game is second to none. We are very fortunate to have found a professional with not only his incredible tennis background (including 3 time collegiate All-American), but his love for teaching and helping each and every person he works with on the court feel great about their game.
Please contact us and sign up for one of our clinics or lessons and get to know this truly wonderful tennis coach and person.
See you on the courts!
Welcome to the first edition of Coaches Corner!!!
As the weather turns colder and Halloween is fast approaching, we are noticing more participation in our tennis programs. The adult clinics have been filling up, the junior clinic numbers are increasing and league play has been exciting for both participants and spectators!
Please come out and join the fun on the courts while improving your skills and getting fit or simply to enjoy the challenge of competing on one of our league teams.
I look forward to seeing you on the courts soon!
Reminder QC WINTER LEAGUE STARTS soon. We need a few more participants to field 2 full teams.
Please send in your interest to play to Bill at
Thursday October 25, 2018.
CAN CAPTAIN / CO-CAPTAIN______
Weekday Women’s Doubles-
3 lines of Doubles, Wednesday and Thursday with a Warm Up Time of10:45and Match Playat 11:00
See you on the courts!